Sunday, June 2, 2024

JUNE UPDATES 2: PARODY MAGAZINE #3

Sadly, this blog on a daily basis will come to a close the end of this month. I'm doing most of it in alphabetical order now, but as I mention in the sidebar, I still have holes to fill, so I'll always come back for that, and things always stay on the internet, but here are a few more things I've filled in. Thanks again to Chris Ekman, who has most of them.

The rest I'll have tomorrow. Here are the pieces from the third issue of Parody in September 1977. I don't feel the need to summarize everything so I'll just make the titles highlighted in orange (or underlined or whatever settings you have for links) link to previous parody posts that have texts about them and what the characters' real names are. You can check off these boxes on your seventies references: Rocky, Starsky and Hutch, Muhammad Ali, Howard Cosell, Wonderama, King Kong, Gerald Ford, Bobby Riggs, Olga Korbut, Ali McGraw, Gong Show, Jaws, Charlie'a Angels, The Godfather, Polish jokes.
ROCKY
dir: John Avildsen

ROCKIE
a: Walter Brogan
Marlon Brando is in the corner of the first panel, being a contender I guess.
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
ABC 1970-2005

KING KONG
dir: John Guillermin

HOWARD COSELL INTERVIEWS KING KONG
a: Ed Kaye (Alan Kupperberg)
CHARLIE'S ANGELS
ABC 1976-1981

CHEERLIE'S ANGELS
a: John Reiner

This was the original cast of Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, and Farrah Fawcett-Majors.
Surprisingly, among the seventies refences, no jokes about Billy Carter or Anita Bryant.

2 comments:

  1. The punchline where Rocky has to stay a figher because of the merchandising: Was there that much merchandising for Rocky in '77?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember much even after they did five movies. Sequels might have been a better punchline instead. Except for maybe JAWS and KING KONG it was more TV than movies that did the licensing before STAR WARS.

      Delete