Sunday, July 31, 2022

CONTRACEPTION STREET

CORONATION STREET
ITV 1960-present

CORONATION STREET
MAD UK #212, December 1979
w: Les Lilley
a: Harry North

Long-running daily British soap opera which is now the world's longest running program. It all takes place in a working-class neighborhood in the fictional Weatherfield, a town in Northern England. The cover focuses on Albert Tatlock (Jack Howarth) and his friends at the local pub.

The story has the show being pitched by a Prince Charles lookalike.
I'm afraid a lot of the references go over the head of an Ugly American like myself, though a Brit or Anglophile is welcome to help. No need to go through the extra trouble of googling just for li'l ol' me.

1 comment:

  1. I know nothing about the show, but I can hazard a guess on one of the BBC execs. I'm pretty sure the chap in the bow tie is Robin Day, prominent political journalist and BBC host.

    As for the other guy, all I can think of is Sonny Bono; I can't imagine why it would be, but maybe it really is Sonny Bono?

    On page 3, the talk of "The Starchers" refers to The Archers, a long-running (and still-running!) BBC radio drama.

    ReplyDelete