Wednesday, March 24, 2021

CARBON COP-OUT

CARBON COPY (1981)
dir: Michael Schultz

YouTube has the movie in its entirety, so here it is.

CARBON COP-OUT
MAD #231, June 1982
w: Stan Hart
a: Mort Drucker

Panel from MAD's Academy Awards Show in the category of “Most Tasteless Movie of the Year”, in which George Segal, who we coincidentally lost just last night, finds his long-lost son (Denzel Washington) is black. (So?) On the surface, the movie would seem racist. I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing it's about how the white lead starts out as a bigot and learns his lesson. I don't know. Anyone that's ever met me or seen a picture of me knows I'm not the authority on what is or isn't racist, but since the director made Cooley High and Krush Groove, and is himself an African-American, I have the feeling it's not as condescending as it's made out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment