Wednesday, March 15, 2023

POKEY'S

PORKY'S (1981)
dir: Bob Clark

POKEY'S
MAD #258, October 1985
w: Arnie Kogen
a: Mort Drucker

From Academy Awards for Teenage Films in the category of “Peeking at Naked Girls”.

Semi-autobiographical comedy set in the fifties about a group oversexed teenagers (Dan Monahan, Scott Colomby, Mark Herrier, Wyatt Knight) trying to get into a roadhouse called Porky's. One of its most memorable scenes is them looking in the girls' locker room at their school and getting caught by their gym teacher (Nancy Parsons). The movie wasn't very good and is long forgotten but since it captured nostalgia so well the director was hired for perennial classic A Christmas Story.
POKEY'S REVENGE
dir: James Komack

Also from Academy Awards for Teenage Films in the category of "Dopiest Storyline in the History of Motion Pictures" in that same issue.

The movie was successful enough that they had two sequels.
I did this comic about it in 1994. VH-1 did a 20th Anniversary show of the movie and asked me to be on because of this comic, but I didn't make the cut, I guess because I took a faux-intellectual approach and they wanted something where they could edit sound bytes of me saying “They showed boobs! It was awesome!”

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious what the joke is/was with the Pokey's winners not showing. (Or if there was one...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no follow-up, they just went on to the next category. I guess they either couldn't think of a joke or they were using the running gag of "this movie is too beneath our dignity"

      Delete