Wednesday, July 12, 2023

SCOOBY DOO AFTER THE CASE OF THE REAL LIFE GHOST

SCOOBY DOO
SYNDICATED 1969-present

SCOOBY DOO AFTER THE CASE OF THE REAL LIFE GHOST
Cracked Monster Party #31, Spring 1996
w: Daniel O'Keefe
a: Gary Fields

Scooby-Doo has gone through many different incarnations over the years, even having knock-offs by its own studio. It's always been two guys, Fred and Shaggy, and two girls, Daphne and Velma. and their dog Scooby Doo, traveling the country in their van solving mysteries in haunted houses and unmasking the criminal at the end, who was usually trying to trick someone into believing they really were a ghost, and "would have succeeded if it weren't for you meddling kids".

At one point they had real life guest stars, here it's Don Knotts as he appeared on The Andy Griffith Show. For a while, Scooby Doo was given a nephew Scrappy. One of the many knockoffs was a series called Dynomutt which also had a talking dog.
The top panel has Slimer from Ghostbusters, Gossamer from the Warner Brothers cartoons, Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost, and one of the Little Monsters.
I'm cheating a bit here. In 1997-1998 when Cartoon Network was only showing theatrical shorts and reruns of Saturday Morning cartoons, and DC was starting their line of CN comics, I wrote a few scripts. The editor of the line brought in people like me, Michael Kupperman, and Ivan Brunetti. Gary Fields and Bill Wray, who've done movie and TV parodies on this blog,illustrated some of them. Scooby-Doo has always been my least favorite Hanna-Barbera franchise, but I wrote one comic story for it. It's been my the most lucrative thing for DC, even as recently as two years ago I got royalties for a story I wrote 25 years ago. Only $12, but still something.

But here's the one Scooby-Doo story I wrote for them for #4 in November 1997.

1 comment:

  1. I think the other dog who "runderstand"s Scoopy is Astro from the Jetsons who also has the same "speech impediment".

    ReplyDelete