Wednesday, November 18, 2020

ART SINKWETTER'S BIRTHDAY PARTY

ART LINKLETTER'S HOUSE PARTY
(1952-1969) CBS

ART SINKWETTER'S BIRTHDAY PARTY
Panic #1, July 1958
a: Bernard Baily


One thing I hate is when people say “You wouldn't know about that you weren't even born” when often I know more than the person telling me that. On the other hand, I understand that, hiding the anger inside when things obvious to me aren't known by others. Something as simple as a rotary phone. Not that I'm a walking encyclopedia, but I think I have a good knowledge of 100 years of popular culture.

Which brings me to my introduction to Art Linkletter, someone even people my own age (51) don't know about. He was a well-known TV personality back in the day, maybe the Steve Harvey of his time, hosting a daytime quiz/variety/talk show for years called House Party. One of the segments was called Kids Say the Darndest Things, unrehearsed interviews with children for which this parody is the basis. This eventually spun off into its own series and was later rebooted as a series hosted by Bill Cosby when he was still a genial personality.

Another thing you need to know is that the show's sponsor was Rinso White detergent.

No comments:

Post a Comment